Following two decades of Leadership Coaching in London and internationally I now provide a safe haven to examine and address the challenges you face from my base in Brighton. Leadership coaching can be a robust brain workout which provides the optimal environment for sustainable and transformative change. It can also be an essential resource to keep you at the top of your game or a place where you can take refuge seeking the support you need to truly be yourself.
Benefits of Leadership Coaching
Imagine you have access to a professional partner who understands what you are here to deliver, given the challenges, risks and opportunities you stand to enjoy. This ally is strongly committed to you thriving at your best and will constructively challenge you to succeed with the best outcomes for your long term relationships with internal and external stakeholders also keeping you true to the commitments for personal growth and work life balance you pledge to maintain. The areas we explore could include:
- Advanced self-awareness.
- Insight into and practice of self-regulation.
- More attuned empathy.
- More skilful direction of neurological habits
- Increased levels of motivation.
- Better social skills.
- Improved influencing abilities
How a Leadership Coaching Programme Works
- We begin by getting to the root of what you seek to achieve and what stage you are currently at during a free no obligation 30 minute initial discovery session. During this session (phone coaching or online coaching using Microsoft Teams, Zoom, FaceTime or What’sApp) we:
- map out a realistic initial plan
- establish the best coaching style so you get the most out of your coaching experience.
- During the programme the relationship develops into a partnership; my objective is to keep you on track and with a mindset that is mobilised for personal growth. In this partnership I am interested in you as an integrated whole person:
- we focus on your state of mind, readiness and resilience for the unimaginable change of our times
- we identify what is essential to your emotional and mental wellbeing to sustain the positive psychological health you will need to manages the stresses that will inevitably occur and you lead your team
All sessions are confidential to you. I may advise during the coaching if it would be beneficial to talk to a colleague, manager, partner or expert. It is always ultimately your choice to do this.
The following definition of what coaching is can help you as you begin to think about your professional development aims.
“A collaborative solution-focused, results-orientated and systematic process in which the coach facilitates the enhancement of work performance, life experience, self-directed learning and personal growth of the coachee.
Good Practice Leadership Coaching – OSKAR Coaching Model
There are many coaching models available to guide executive coaching. Many clients are familiar with the GROW model and use it in their 1:1s with their teams. I like to have the OSKAR model at the back of my mind because it puts an emphasis on Outcomes, Reviews on progress and solutions.
There are five stages:
- Outcome– First we discuss the issue, any progress made so far and then brainstorm to identify the desired outcome / long-term goals.
- Situation – This step establishes the current situation and encourages discussion about what helps/hinders progress.
- Know-How – Here we pin down the resources (knowledge, skills or attributes) that are at the client’s disposal to attain their outcome. There is positive affirmation of what the client already knows in order to decide on the way forward.
- Action – The client puts into practice what is now necessary to achieve the outcome. This could involve building know-how, collaborating with others or working through the delivery of a specific solution.
- Review –We review progress against actions. This can occur at the end of a significant focus on behaviour change after several coaching sessions or at the beginning of the subsequent coaching session.
Coaching sessions can tackle any emergent issues that have arisen prior to the last session and that have become a priority. `Your objectives drive the focus of the sessions.
If your organisation already encourages the development of certain leadership behaviours, these can also form an important part of our coaching. To illustrate how this could work, a leadership model that emphasises the components of the emotionally intelligent leader encompasses:
- SELF AWARENESS
- SELF MANAGEMENT
- SOCIAL AWARENESS
- RELATIONSHIP MANAGEMENT
This leadership style framework can be drawn on to inform the coaching. Priorities and blind spots are broken down into objectives and/or practical steps that build momentum towards the planned result.
Manager and Leader Transitions
A leadership adventure into the unknown triggers an internal metamorphosis as the leader learns new capabilities that are unfamiliar. This is at its most intense when the professional has to experience big shifts outside their comfort zone. For the following transitions, significant changes in scope of role, responsibility and perceived personal risk will be experienced:
During this time, the leader particularly benefits from setting up a programme where they are in close contact with people who can provide the support they need. For such transitions through to new management levels it can be especially beneficial to have access to both a mentor and a coach. A senior mentor who knows the dynamics of the role and is well networked can provide advice on the contacts the executive should develop.
An Executive Coach can help you work through issues more confidentially and is to support you, yet get you to think things through in a resourceful and sustainable way.
A Powerful Mix of Coaching Experience
Our partnership during you leadership coaching can focus your mind (and your time) to future-proof experiences such as following:
- Deal with an important change or challenge in your life
- Tackle a difficult situation or person
- Plan a career change
- Prepare for a promotion or new project/assignment
- Discover and optimise your strengths and talent
- Transform uncertainty, let go of anxiety
- Understand your leadership edge to create a high performing team
- Set up or grow a business based on your talents and values
- Boost confidence to live outside your comfort zone
- Find ways to experience the freedom of living in the moment
My co-active coaching approach will engage your mind to get to the core of what makes you tick. You will learn about the practical techniques used by highly effective people and also how to cultivate your own natural strengths.